Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Well, we are almost at the end of harvest, the older Cabernet Sauvignon is still left to pick.  I know it has been a while since my last post and it may have been interesting for me to give a play by play of the harvest, maybe not, but I didn't, sorry.  Lots of the past 3 weeks were spent just trying to get everything done.

Having said all of that, I think we grew some pretty wonderful grapes, they certainly smell yummy fermenting away!  We for sure got lucky with the long sunny fall and relative lack of rain both of which kept grape maturity slowly chugging along with warm days and cool nights.

The vineyard part of this vintage may be almost over but the hard work in the cellar is about mid-way through.  My winery colleagues Angel and Rebecca are deep into pump-overs and punch-downs of the reds and racking and barreling whites.

It seems like a long time ago when we were anticipating bud break, the start of the season and wondering how it would all turn out 6 months later.  Somehow it all appears to have worked, now we just take a breath and start all over again, pruning starts after Thanksgiving.      

No comments:

Post a Comment